The Artists’ Group at South Florida State College consists of a community of artists who are committed to developing their individual talents and promoting an appreciation for art. They meet, work, offer workshops, and sell their artwork at the Artists’ Group Studio, in the Hotel Jacaranda, historic arcade, 19 East Main Street, Avon Park.
The Artists’ Group offers informal art classes throughout the year. All classes are geared toward artists of every skill level. For more information, call 863-784-7346 or e-mail email@example.com.
Acrylic Painting: Louise Weis, instructor
Students paint subjects of their choice or work on a project with the instructor. Each participant completes two paintings during the session.
- CRN 11403: Wednesday, Oct. 5 through Nov.2, 12:30-4:30 p.m., The Artists’ Group Studio, $120
- CRN 20451: Wednesday, Jan. 18 through Feb. 15, 12:30-4 p.m., The Artists’ Group Studio, $120
- CRN 21279: Wednesday, March 3-29, 12:30-4 p.m., The Artists’ Group Studio, $120
Watercolor Painting: Betty Heim, instructor
Students paint subjects of their choice or participate in a weekly exercise demonstrated by the instructor. Classes discuss the application of color theory as well as the principles and elements of design. A gentle critique is held at the end of each session.
- CRN 11404: Thursday, Nov. 3-17, 1-4 p.m., The Artists’ Group Studio, $65
- CRN 20714: Thursday, Jan. 12-26, 1-4 p.m., The Artists’ Group Studio, $65
- CRN 20715: Thursday, Feb. 9-23, 1-4 p.m., The Artists’ Group Studio, $65
- CRN 21278: Thursday, March 9-23, 1-4 p.m., The Artists’ Group Studio, $65
Creations in Clay/Clay Work/Ceramics: Betty McCarthy, instructor
This class is held in the Ceramic Studio at the SFSC Art Department. Students use clay and pottery tools to learn various techniques for this sculptural medium. Glazes are applied and projects are kiln fired.
- CRN 10858: Wednesday, Oct. 26 through Dec. 14, 9 a.m.-noon, A-10, $135
- CRN 20713: Wednesday, Jan. 11 through March 1, 9 a.m.-noon, A-10, $135
- CRN 20826: Wednesday, March 22 through May 3, 9 a.m.-noon, A-10, $135
- CRN 30282: Wednesday, May 17 through June 28, 9 a.m.-noon, A-10, $135
Oil Painting: Nancy Adams, instructor
This class is for students with any level of experience. Students will learn how to mix colors and apply common oil techniques to create a painting will be taught in this four-week class.
- CRN 21276: Friday, Jan. 6-27, noon-3 p.m., The Artists’ Group Studio, $85
- CRN 21277: Friday, Feb. 10 through March 3, The Artists’ Group Studio, $85
Gourd Artistry for Beginners: Jackie Andrews, instructor
This class will provide the student with personal instruction in the preparation, design, creation, development and finishing of a gourd art project. Basic pyrography instruction will be included.
- CRN 21280: Wednesday, Jan. 11 through Feb. 1, 1-4 p.m., Public Safety Outside Breezeway, $95