- Adult Literacy
- Corporate Education
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- General Educational Development Program (GED)
- Leadership Highlands
- Summer Bridge Program
- College Reach Out Program (CROP)
- Farmworker Career Development Program
- Panther Youth Partners
- SFSC University Center Partnership Programs
Students enrolled in certain business and computer technology programs may qualify for additional benefits and assistance through Florida XCEL-IT.
XCEL-IT is a grant-funded program that connects you with industry professionals and employees and provides the resources you need to advance your career in information technology or business. XCEL-IT students can take advantage of one-on-one advising, workshops and classes, workforce training, and field trips customized to their course of study. When students are ready to graduate, they get assistance with internship opportunities, job searching, and preparing for employment.
As an XCEL-IT participant, you can:
- Develop a path for success with your XCEL-IT program advisor
- Gain resources and assistance from your advisor as you advance through the program
- Attend additional courses through CareerSource Heartland
- Receive training and counseling from the Florida SBDC of the Heartland
- Determine whether you are eligible to receive financial assistance through CareerSource Heartland
- Benefit from XCEL-IT’s partnerships with industries and associations throughout Florida, who provide input on the skills their employees need and offer opportunities for internships, mentoring, and professional networking
Eligibility for XCEL-IT
You may be eligible to participate in XCEL-IT if you are enrolled in:
- Digital Forensics (College Credit Certificate)
- IT Help Desk Support Technician (College Credit Certificate)
- Network Security (College Credit Certificate)
- Network Systems Technology (Associate in Science Degree)
- Supply Chain Management (Associate in Science Degree)
- Logistics and Transportation Specialist (College Credit Certificate)
- Accounting Technology (Associate in Science Degree)
- Accounting Applications (College Credit Certificate)
You qualify for XCEL-IT if you have a high school diploma and meet one of these four criteria:
- You are eligible for assistance under the Trade Adjustment Act (TAA).
- You are over age 24.
- You are unemployed or underemployed due to lack of training and skills relevant in today’s workplace.
- You are a U.S. military veteran.
How to Apply
To begin the eligibility process, complete the XCEL-IT Intake Form. Return it to the XCEL-IT Office in Building R-2, Highlands Campus, or email it to XCEL-IT staff.
Florida XCEL-IT is a partnership of seven rural community and state colleges which are expanding their capacity to serve Trade Adjustment Act (TAA)-eligible workers and other unemployed or under-employed adults.
XCEL-IT programs are made possible through a $10 million Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training (TAACCCT) grant, awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration.
My success, in my own words…
I truly appreciate the work and effort Nelson, Tina, and the XCEL-IT team put in to helping me start and finish the Help Desk support program. I started SFSC in the Cisco Network support services program in the fall of 2014. During the next term, Nelson came in to my class to present the XCEL-IT certificates being offered. He mentioned that some of what I was already taking could be used towards the Help Desk Support program. I was very interested as it would take only a few more weeks to complete than what my intended completion date would have been for my CCNA. So I decided to go ahead with it however, I ran into a financial issue. Being a single parent, these few extra weeks were a stretch and in addition, I found out that my financial aid would not be able to cover a small program like Help Desk Support. Nelson and the team did not stop until I was in the program and helped find the financial resources for tuition. Once in, I did the best I could to finish, but I had a big challenge. I had a hard time starting the internship as no businesses in the area were capable of accepting a new hire internship. Coming really close to giving up, Nelson encouraged me to keep going. His upbeat personality and extreme excitement towards my goal kept me motivated to finish. Through this training, preparation, and exposure, I was able to get a job with ATP Logistics. Now I am helping the company develop many IT relat-ed projects!
I know how hard the team works for their students and their students goals therefore I always recommend the program to anyone I come in contact with that wants to further their education and opportunities.
Thanks again Nelson, Tina, and team!!