Are You READI For Online Learning?
E-Learning assists students in achieving academic success. A resource to aid in this success is the READI assessment tool.
READI is a Web-based tool which assesses a learner’s likelihood for succeeding in an online learning course. READI indicates the degree to which an individual student possesses attributes, skills and knowledge that contribute to success in online learning, including:
- Time-management skills
- Reading comprehension
- Availability of time
- Ability to use a laptop, printer, software, and the Internet.
- Typing speed and accuracy
READI does not rely on simple self-assessment questions with obvious “right” and “wrong” answers. Rather, READI uses a sequence of activities to measure the degree to which students possess the traits needed for success in studying at a distance. Each student who takes the READI assessment receives immediate feedback in the form of an individualized report that shows his/her score for each of the various READI components. The scores are presented in textual and graphical formats. Ask your instructor about his or her preferred method of communication of this report. Most will prefer one of these two options: 1-that you print the report out and bring it with you to class or 2-that you save an electronic version of it and place in the course dropbox.
If you encounter any difficulties with the assessment or have questions, contact E-Learning.
Follow these steps to ensure your success:
- Each student will use a generic Username and Password to access the system. If this is your first time using the READI Program, enter your information in the box on the left marked “New Users.”
- Please type in lowercase the Username: SFSC
- Then type in lowercase the Password: student
- Notice the Links on the bottom portion of the screen. These links will provide you with further information on the READI Assessment.
- Now click the “Log In” button.
- Create an “account” by answering a few questions. Questions marked with an orange asterisk * MUST be answered before you may proceed.
- Please use your SFSC Panther Den Online e-mail account for the e-mail in this system. Otherwise, we will be unable to assist you in retrieving your new Password/PIN, and you may not be able to retrieve your results from the program.
- When you have answered all the questions, click the “Start the READI Assessment” button near the bottom of the page.
- The assessment will load, and your first series of questions will appear on the screen. Using the buttons on the right, click in the answer choice that best describes you at this point in your life. Answer as honestly as possible. Continue to answer questions and move through the assessment process, clicking the “Continue to Next Section” or other noted buttons near the bottom of each page. Near the end of the assessment, you will encounter a series of “hands-on” exercises. Follow the directions on each screen, and continue the assessment process. You will need to use a computer that can access the Internet and listen to sound files. The entire assessment should take no more than one hour to complete.
- Save your results in the PDF file type on your computer or a portable storage device (flash drive, jump drive, floppy disk, etc.).
- Review your results, and enjoy learning some new things about yourself!