The Writing Lab provides one-to-one tutoring on any writing problem or project to all SFSC students. The writing specialist gives advice, explains rules and principles, and guides you to print and online resources that can help improve your writing. The writing specialist will show you how to edit your work, but will not edit your work for you.
Students can make an appointment by calling 784-7423. Walk-ins are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Wait times vary depending on the number of students in the lab and the number of tutors available at the time.
The Writing Lab is not an editing and proofreading service. We cannot edit your paper.
Materials to Bring to Your Writing Lab Session:
- Copies of the draft or paper you’re working on (freewriting, notes, scribbles – whatever you have). Typed copies must be double-spaced, leaving ample room to make notes and revisions.
- A copy of the assignment or your notes, if the assignment was given orally
- Any reading materials, notes, or research relating to the topic of your paper
- Any questions you may have
- Your own writing materials, notebook, pad of paper, or laptop computer that you would like to work on
- If you are referred to the Writing Lab, bring the draft containing your instructor’s comments.
Writing Lab Hours
Monday: 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m./1:30 – 5 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Thursday: 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m./1:30 – 5 p.m.