Title: Evaluation of Administrators
Based on Policy:
5.04 - Performance Review
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President For Administrative Services/ Human Resources
To establish a procedure for the evaluation of administrators
- Annual evaluation
- The performance of all administrators will be evaluated by their supervisors annually. The evaluation period will cover January 1 through December 31 of the previous year. Evaluations of administrators who report directly to the president are due January 31. All other administrative evaluations are due February 28 (or 29).
- All administrators will be evaluated annually on their progress toward meeting the college’s accountability and equity goals in accordance with Florida Statute 1012.86. The college’s accountability and equity goals are reflected in its annual Equity Update Report to the Florida Department of Education.
- The Human Resources Department is responsible for ensuring that evaluation instruments are current and available; administering the annual evaluation process, including providing instructions on timely and appropriate completion; monitoring the return of evaluation instruments for proper storage as limited-access records; and ensuring that any personnel actions resulting from the performance evaluation process are appropriately documented and completed.
- Supervisors will complete evaluations timely and forward them for review by the appropriate executive administrator (president or vice president).
- If an administrative employee’s performance is unsatisfactory, the supervising vice president will recommend a course of action to the president.
- If continued employment is recommended, a performance improvement plan must be included with the recommendation. If the president concurs with the recommendation to continue employment, the performance improvement plan will be delivered to the employee at the evaluation conference. The employee’s performance will be carefully monitored by the supervising administrator(s) during the period specified in the plan.
- If continued employment is not recommended, the immediate supervisor and/or supervising vice president will meet with the president to discuss the recommendation (see Procedure 5070, Reappointment and Termination Procedures for Annual Contract Employees).
- The president will apprise the director, human resources of the determinations outlined above. The director, human resources will ensure appropriate documentation of actions related to performance improvement and/or termination of employment.
- During the evaluation conference, the employee must sign and date the evaluation form. If the employee disagrees with the performance appraisal, he/she may append written comments to the evaluation instrument or discuss the matter with the director of human resources within one week of the evaluation conference. The director, human resources will review the issues involved with the employee’s immediate and higher supervisors and respond to the employee’s concerns within one week of being contacted.
- 90-day evaluation
All administrators shall have their performance evaluated prior to the completion of the initial 90 days of appointment, reinstatement, promotion, demotion, or reassignment. If the employee’s performance has been satisfactory to date and the employee is to be recommended for continued employment, the supervisor should complete the evaluation form and proceed as outlined above for annual evaluations. If the employee’s performance has been less than satisfactory, the supervisor(s) should consult with the director, human resources before completing an evaluation form. The director, human resources will review the matter with all appropriate administrators and facilitate obtaining the president’s approval of recommendations related to continued employment.
History: Last Revised: 8/10/10
Revised: 1/21/02, 6/1/05, 8/10/10