Title: Reappointment and Termination Procedures for Annual Contract Employees
Based on Policy:
5.07 - Employment Agreements
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President for Administrative Services/ Human Resources
To define the process for recommending reappointment and termination of annual contract employees
- Annual contracts are issued to full-time administrative employees.
- Annual contracts are issued to full-time faculty who have not met continuing contract requirements or whose positions are funded through grants or special programs.
- Continuing contracts are issued to faculty who meet the requirements for continuing contract status and are reappointed to a fourth consecutive year.
- Recommendations for reappointment of administrators and faculty who are employed under annual contracts will be facilitated annually by the Human Resources Department. Recommendation instruments will be distributed according to the following guidelines:
- Administrators reporting directly to the president: Early January with an expected return date no later than January 20.
- Faculty on annual contract and administrators who do not report directly to the president: Early February with an expected return date no later than February 20.
- Faculty who do not wish to be re-employed the following year should discuss their intentions with their immediate supervisor, who will inform the division dean. administrators should discuss their intentions with their immediate supervisor, who will inform the appropriate executive administrator (president or vice president) as applicable.
- In the event a dean does not recommend reappointment of a faculty member, the dean will discuss the matter with the vice president for educational and student services (VPESS). The VPESS will discuss recommendations for non-renewal with the president. Upon the president's decision to not reappoint, appropriate written notice will be provided to the faculty member as directed by the president.
- Exercise of academic freedom will not be the basis for non-renewal of an instructional contract, in accordance with the provisions of South Florida State College District Board of Trustees (DBOT) Policy 3.01.
- In the event an administrator is not recommended for reappointment, the supervisor and/or the appropriate vice president will discuss the matter with the president. Upon approval, appropriate written notice will be provided to the administrator.
- Career service and professional staff employees are appointed annually and are subject to non-renewal of contract each year. The president must approve recommendations for non-renewal.
- Approved reappointments of annual contract employees (subject to position continuation) will be submitted to the DBOT for approval as follows: (see also Procedure 5043, Employee Reappointments and Evaluations).
- Administrators reporting directly to the president: February DBOT meeting
- Faculty and administrators not reporting directly to the president: March DBOT meeting
- Career service and professional staff employees: April DBOT meeting
History: Last Revised: 12/1/09
Revised: 12/4/01, 6/1/05, 12/1/09