Title: Instructional Leadership: Department Chair, Program Director and Program Manager Selection
Based on Policy:
5.24 - College Employees: Employment, Promotion, Transfer, Demotion, Suspension, and Dismissal
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President for Educational and Student Services/Human Resources
To describe the position of instructional supervisors, their selection, and appointment
- The organizational structure of each division is determined annually by the division dean and vice president for educational and student services (VPESS). Changes are submitted to the president for approval. As new programs are added/deleted, faculty positions are added/deleted, or student enrollments shift, allocation of division leadership positions may be modified. Instructional supervisors are designated as department chairperson, program manager, or program directors.
- Instructional division leadership positions are described as follows:
- Department chair
- Faculty in the Division of Arts and Sciences, Division of Applied Sciences and Technologies, Advising and Counseling Center, and Library.
- Faculty status. Faculty selected to assume a departmental chair role will retain faculty rank and status.
- Length of contract: Length of contract will typically be 12 months although may be 10 or 11 months, as needs vary.
- Each department chair will typically carry at least a 50 percent teaching load, excluding overloads. Exception: Counselors, Librarians.
- Release time for department chairs will be recommended by the division dean, approved by the VPESS and submitted to the president for approval.
- Adjustment in teaching load is subject to approval by division dean and VPESS.
- Specific responsibilities for individual department chairs (above and beyond standard faculty responsibilities) are outlined in an official job description provided to and signed by the chair upon appointment and maintained by the Human Resources Department.
- Program director
- Member of the Division of Applied Sciences and Technologies Division or the Division of Academic Support
- Professional staff (non-faculty status)
- Length of contract: Length of contract will typically be 12 month although may be a 10 month or 11 month, as needs vary.
- Some teaching may be required
- May be responsible for multiple disciplines within a program area
- Program manager
- Member of the Division of Applied Sciences and Technologies
- Faculty status. A program manager may be the only faculty member in the department/discipline
- Length of contract: Length of contract will typically be 12 months although may be a 10 month or 11 month, as needs vary.
- A program manager is responsible for the development, teaching, and administrative responsibilities associated with the program(s).
- Specific responsibilities for individual program managers (above and beyond standard faculty responsibilities) are outlined in an official position description provided to and signed by the program manager upon appointment and maintained by the Human Resources Department.
- Initial appointment
- When positions for department chairs are available, they will be posted for internal applicants only. Internal college candidates who wish to be considered for a position shall submit a letter of intent to the Human Resources Department prior to the established deadline. A selection committee including the division dean, director, human resources, and the VPESS will review candidates and make a recommendation to the president.
- When program director positions are available, they will be advertised and candidates will be interviewed and selected using routine Human Resources Department selection procedures. The screening committee will include the division dean and VPESS.
- Department chairs and program managers serve on an annual appointment supplementary to their faculty positions. They may be recommended for reappointment as chairs/program managers by the VPESS upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation and recommendation of the dean. Department chair/program manager reappointment recommendations are subject to approval by the president. Note: Faculty in an instructional leadership role who are on annual contract are also recommended to the South Florida State College (SFSC) District Board of Trustees for reappointment in March of each year.
Each year, upon notification of the reappointment of department chairs and program managers, the Human Resources Department will issue a supplemental services agreement to each faculty member appointed. The agreement will include the terms of the appointment (contract length and amount of release time) and a job description.
- As full-time professional staff, program directors are recommended for reappointment annually upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation and reappointment recommendation by the dean, the VPESS, and the president. The SFSC District Board of Trustees considers recommendations for reappointment of professional staff in April of each year. Continuation of these positions is contingent upon program continuation.
History: Last Revised: 3/19/13
Revised: 7/21/99, 1/21/02, 7/19/05, 10/6/09, 3/19/13