Title: Lost and Found Property
Based on Policy:
2.07 - Property
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President for Administrative Services
To provide for proper safeguarding, control and disposition of property that has been turned into college authorities. The Cashier’s Office will coordinate lost and found items for South Florida State College (SFSC).
- Location of lost and found
- Lost and found will be located at the Cashier’s Office location on all SFSC sites.
- The director or person in charge of sites without cashiering areas will act as the point of contact for lost and found and will designate an area for lost and found that is secure (Crews Center, Teacherage, Lorida Schoolhouse).
- Items which have been found and turned into lost and found will be controlled as follows:
- Items of no obvious value may be discarded.
- Items of recognizable value will be entered into the lost and found log, with the following entries: tag no., description, finder, location, date, disposition, and signature.
- Attempts will be made to notify the proper owner if identification is noted on or in the property.
- Items may be retained for a minimum period of 90 days, during which time the owner may claim the property by proper identification of the item.
- Items of suspected contraband (i.e., weapons, drugs, etc.) will be turned over to the appropriate legal authority.
- Property that has value which has not been claimed within 90 days of its being turned into lost and found will be placed up for public sale. All proceeds will be deposited into the college scholarship fund.
History: Last Reviewed: 5/01/12
Reviewed: 12/15/04, 12/15/07, 5/01/12
Revised: 12/4/01, 9/29/09