To evaluate noncredit course work of students seeking college credit
Upon request, the appropriate department provides a review of noncredit course information and makes a recommendation to the registrar. If the student is not satisfied with the decision, he/she may file an appeal to the dean, arts and sciences or dean, applied sciences and technologies. The student will be notified by mail of the decision reached for award of credit. The credit awarded will appear on the South Florida State College (SFSC) transcript as external credit in accordance with the college guidelines.
All students seeking credit based on noncredit course work must adhere to the following procedures:
- Only degree and certificate-seeking students who are currently enrolled and who have earned 15 college credits at SFSCare eligible to receive credit based on noncredit course work.
- A written request from the student identifying the courses that are to be reviewed and the reason for credit consideration is required. A course fee for each course may be required prior to evaluation.
- The student must submit the request and documentation or materials for the determination of credit to the Registrar’s Office.
- The Registrar’s Office reviews the documents to ensure all the necessary material is contained therein.
- If the documents are incomplete, the student is notified accordingly.
- If the documents are complete, they are submitted to the appropriate instructional supervisor.
- The instructional supervisor returns the evaluation to the Registrar’s Office within 10 working days.
- It is the responsibility of each instructional supervisor, using division criteria, to coordinate the evaluation of courses within his/her respective department. All recommendations as to the awarding or denial of credits must be approved in writing by the dean or designee.
- Upon the department’s submitting its recommendation, the Registrar’s Office reviews the recommendation. If a question arises due to the department’s recommendation, the issue is forwarded to the dean of the appropriate division for resolution.
- If credit is granted, it is posted to the student’s transcript as external credit in accordance with the college guidelines. All credits are awarded a grade of S (Satisfactory).
- A student who has been denied credits may take the course(s) at SFSCor may take either a CLEP examination or a comprehensive department examination for each subject area in which they were denied.