This course requires students to demonstrate proficiency in the areas specific to the discipline: Firearms, First Responder, Defensive Tactics, and Vehicle Operations. Upon successful completion of each proficiency, the student will be eligible to take the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, State Officer Certification Exam. This course is specifically designed to provide former Florida and eligible out-of-state officers the opportunity to become a certified Florida Law Enforcement Officer.
- All applicants must complete the Training Authorization and Registration form and submit
payment in full seven days prior to start date.
- All applicants must present a Florida Department of Law Enforcement approved Equivalency of
Training CJSTC Form 76 and CJSTC Form 58. For information or assistance, contact Mike Austin,
- Program authorization by the Criminal Justice Academy staff must be received prior to registration
Supplies and Equipment:
- Dress Code: Polo shirt and pants; No shorts allowed
- Defensive Tactics: Sweat pants, T-shirt, athletic shoes, and socks
- Fee: $1,100 includes the cost of tuition, books, test preparation, ammunition, use of
firearms, and safety belt
For dates and course numbers, check out the Equivalency of Training flyer.
To register, call 863-784-7405.
State Exam: Successful completion of this proficiency course qualifies you to take the State Exam offered through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE). The State Exam is a comprehensive multiple-choice test, consisting of 200 questions for Law Enforcement. The exam questions are taken from the Florida Basic Recruit Training curriculum. The cost for the exam is $100. For further information on this exam, visit the FDLE website at fdle.state.fl.us/CJSTC/Officer-Requirements/Equivalency-of-Training. You may register with Pearson Vue to take the State Officer Certification Exam at home.pearsonvue.com/FDLE.
Attendance: Attendance at the initial class is mandatory. All students must adhere to the attendance requirements of the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission and the Rules, Policies and Procedures of the Criminal Justice Academy.
SUBMIT REGISTRATION FORM WITH FEE TO:
Mike Austin, Coordinator
South Florida State College Criminal Justice Academy
600 West College Drive
Avon Park, FL 33825
For additional information, email Michael.Austin@southflorida.edu or call 863-784-7282.