Graduation Procedures for All Programs
Out of an abundance of caution and to prevent the spread of COVID-19, South Florida State College will postpone the Spring 2020 Commencement. The College will pursue the possible rescheduling of the ceremony at a later date. Students are asked to check their email and southflorida.edu for updates.
The postponement of the ceremony will not impact students graduating and receiving their certificates or diplomas by mail if they meet all graduation requirements.
Those who plan to graduate MUST still fill out the Graduation Application.
All graduates must complete pre-graduation procedures to participate in South Florida State College’s Commencement services.
SFSC holds Commencement in December (at the end of the fall term) and in May (at the end of the spring term). Commencement dates are listed in the Academic Calendar. Students who complete graduation requirements in summer term may participate in either ceremony.
- Complete the online Graduation Application for the term you will be graduating. First-time users must create an account to access the application.
- Complete the mandatory Graduate Satisfaction Survey (included in the application)
- Complete the mandatory Exit Survey (included in the application)
- Sign the application (electronic signature)
- Submit the application
- Pay the $15 fee (debit/credit card, echeck, or cash card)
You will receive an email confirmation that the process was successful.
You are required to conduct an in-person exit interview with your Financial Aid advisor, if you have received any type of student loan.
Students who plan to attend a Commencement ceremony must order their caps and gowns through the College Bookstore. April 1 is the deadline for ordering regalia for the May 5, 2020 ceremony. Regalia may be purchased from the College Bookstore.
Bachelor’s Degree Program
- Cap, Gown and Tassel Package: $48
- Hood: $38
Associate Degree Program
- Cap, Gown and Tassel Package: $38
- Hood: $25
Certificates and Diplomas
- Cap, Gown and Tassel Package: $38
Additional tassels can be purchased for $6 each. All regalia purchased is subject to sales tax. Payment is due when orders are placed. For information, call the bookstore at 784-7112.
SFSC’s Spring 2020 Commencement ceremony has been postponed.
Please do not bring these items to the Alan Jay Wildstein Center for the Performing Arts:
- Aerosol or spray cans
- Air horns, whistles, or other noise-making devices
- Lighters or candles
- Flags and flag poles
- Signs and banners
- Camera tripods and extension cords
- Wrapped gifts
- Pets other than service animals
- Laser pointers
- Frisbees or other projectiles
- Confetti, glitter, or streamers
- Silly string, beach balls, or other inflatable items
- Balloons are not allowed in the center but may be brought to the reception in Building B
- Jewelry and flowers may not be worn on Commencement gowns
FROM ARCADIA: Travel north on U.S. 17 to Zolfo Springs. Turn right onto State Road 64, and travel east to Avon Park. Turn right onto U.S. 27. Heading south, drive approximately 2 miles; turn left at the light at College Drive.
FROM WAUCHULA: Travel east on East Main Street (State Road 636) to State Road 64. Continue east to Avon Park, and turn right onto U.S. 27. Heading south, drive approximately 2 miles; turn left at the light at College Drive.
FROM I-4: Take exit 55 onto U.S. 27, heading south towards Haines City. Continue south to Avon Park, approximately 48 miles. Continue on U.S. 27, south of downtown Avon Park, approximately 2 miles. Turn left at light at College Drive.
Diplomas and Certificates
The Registrar is the official authority responsible for certifying that all graduation requirements have been met. Diplomas and certificates will be processed at the end of the term that the requirements are fulfilled. It takes approximately six to eight weeks for a student to receive his or her diploma or certificate by mail after the end of the term.