Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

The Advising and Counseling Center at SFSC can provide academic and other support services to assist students with preparing for college admission and attendance. The Advising and Counseling Center is located on the Highlands Campus in Building B, Room 152. To reach a counselor, call 863-784-7131.

Veteran students must apply for education benefits at Certification cannot be processed without the “Certification of Eligibility” from VA.  VA education forms are available at Veterans Affairs forms or

Florida law allows South Florida State College to issue a deferment (postponement) of tuition and fees once each academic year. Students may apply for the deferment by providing a copy of their fee schedule to the certifying official located on SFSC’s Highlands Campus. Deferments can only be granted if the certifying official has all the required documents for certification and the student has been accepted into an eligible program of study. The deferment must be repaid regardless of the status of their receipt of VA benefits.

After your first term, you only need to notify the certifying official that you are registered and want to receive your VA benefits. If you have a change in program or degree objective, notify the certifying official to complete necessary paperwork as soon as the change is made.
SFSC asks that you allow 3-5 days for internal processing and then 30-90 days for the VA Regional office to process the information and for you to start receiving your benefits.

For pay issues contact the veterans’ administration, otherwise contact the certifying official for assistance.

Rob Hampton
Veterans Services Advisor
Phone: 863-784-7128
Office Location: Building B- Room 161

Advising and Counseling Center:

The chapter you are receiving benefits under will determine your monthly rates. Visit for more information.

The minimum cumulative (overall) SFSC grade point average (GPA) for undergraduate/occupational students is a 2.00.

If a student withdraws entirely for the term or drops a class after the official drop period, the VA Regional office will be notified. The VA regional office will determine if the student will need to repay any portion of their tuition or housing allowance.

Remedial and deficiency courses may be funded by the VA. However, the VA will not pay for online remedial courses.


Phone: 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)