Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What are the current safety protocols for SFSC’s campuses?

Increased Sanitization Practices

What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases. The CDC lists the following symptoms for COVID-19: 

  • Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headache
  • New loss of taste or smell
  • Sore throat
  • Congestion or runny nose
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea

These symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure (based on the incubation period of MERS-CoV viruses).

If the student is showing signs of being ill in the classroom, the student should be asked to leave the class until they are feeling well. COVID-19 screening tests are free in conjunction with the Health Department. Please refer ill students to the Health Department for testing.

The contact information is as follows:

Statewide 24/7 number 866-779-6121 (COVID-19 statewide call center)

Highlands County Health Department: 863-402-6800
7205 S. George Blvd., Sebring

Desoto County Health Department: 863-993-4601
34 South Baldwin Avenue, Arcadia, FL 34266

Florida Department of Health Hardee: 863-773-4161
115 K.D. Revell Road, Wauchula, FL 33873

Who can I contact for COVID-19 information?

The Florida Department of Health has dedicated a phone line and email address for your questions. They are 1-866-779-6121 and You can also use the Florida Department of Health website to find a test site. 

What can I do to stop the spread of the virus?

Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. 

Avoid close contact with people who are sick and maintain a distance of six feet between yourself and other people. 

Wear a disposable or fabric mask that covers your nose and chin. 

Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow. Throw any used tissues in the trash. 

Stay home if you are sick. 

Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks. You can use soap and water, disinfectant wipes, and disinfectant sprays with paper towels. 

What should I do if I think I have COVID-19?

You should call your doctor if you think you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 and you develop a fever and symptoms, such as cough or difficulty breathing. You can also visit the CDC’s website to receive advice on “What to do if You Are Sick” that includes a Self-Checker chat bot. You can also visit one of the many local test sites to find out if you are positive for COVID-19. 

Who do I contact if I think I was exposed to a positive case of COVID-19? 

If an employee of SFSC suspects they have been exposed to a positive case of COVID-19 or are not feeling well, they should contact Don Kesterson, director of human resources, at ext. 7336 or for next steps. 

Student Questions

Will my work-study pay be affected? 

No. Work-study students will receive their regular pay. 

Will the TEAS be rescheduled?

You can call the Testing Center to schedule your test at 863-784-7214. 

Can I make an appointment to take an exam? 

Yes, please call the Testing Center at 863-784-7214 to make an appointment. 

How do I access my student email?

Visit and click on “Student” to log in with your username and password. Click on “Student Email” on the right.  

Who do I email if I need help registering? 

You can email for assistance with registration. 

How can I get textbooks for my courses?

The SFSC Bookstore can be accessed online and Follett is offering free shipping and free digital materials at this time. You should have your GID (Student ID) or your Course Number and Course Section ready to identify which books you will need. 

Who do I contact if I need information on fill in the blank?

SFSC has put together a list of all contacts within Student Services so students can reach to us quickly and easily. 

Who do I contact if I think I was exposed to a positive case of COVID-19? 

If a student suspects they have been exposed to a positive case of COVID-19 or are not feeling well, they should contact Keith Loweke, director of safety and risk management, at 863-784-7219 or for next steps. 

Where can I go to get tested for COVID-19?

The Florida Department of Health offers a variety of sites to visit if you want to be tested for COVID-19. To find a site near you, visit the COVID-19 webpage and use the search options.