What is the Highlands Career Institute at SFSC?
The Highlands Career Institute makes it possible for high school students to attend high school and college-level classes at the Highlands Campus. Students can earn a high school diploma and work toward an occupational certificate or earn college credit. In most cases, by the time they graduate from high school they have earned an occupational certificate and are ready to enter the workforce.
Because the Highlands Career Institute is considered dual enrollment, the costs are waived for tuition and books.
Highlands Career Institute students enjoy all of the events, facilities, and privileges that are available to public high school students and SFSC students. They may participate in extracurricular activities and commencement at the high school of enrollment. They may also participate in SFSC commencement services when they complete their occupational certificate program.
Seventy-two percent of the top 25 fastest-growing occupations in Florida require vocational or college training. The Highlands Career Institute offers training in these high-demand occupational programs.
To be eligible for the Highlands Career Institute at SFSC, you must meet these requirements:
- Must be enrolled in the 10th, 11th, or 12 grade at a Highlands County public school
- Successfully completed English 1
- Successfully completed Algebra 1
- Have a cumulative GPA or 2.0 or higher
- Be on pace to graduate on time with your peers
- Demonstrate that you do not require reading remediation by earning a minimum score on the Florida Standards Assessment in English Language Arts (ELA) so that you do not require a reading remediation class
Your school records will be reviewed and should reflect that you have maintained good attendance and good behavior.
For more information about enrolling in the Highlands Career Institute, consult your high school guidance counselor or the dual enrollment coordinator:
Avon Park High School
Lake Placid High School
Sebring High School