Complaint Policy for Out-of-State Online Students

South Florida State College desires to resolve student grievances, complaints, and concerns in an expeditious, fair, and amicable manner. Students who reside outside of the State of Florida and attend SFSC through electronically delivered classes may resolve a grievance by contacting the appropriate offices listed below. However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, pursuant to the U.S. Department of Education’s Program Integrity Rule, you may file a complaint with your state of residence. The Student Complaint Information by State and Agency listing provides phone numbers, email and/or links to state education agencies that may be able to assist you with your grievance.

  1. If you have a compliant about a course, professor, or staff member, follow SFSC policies and procedures starting with the professor, department chair, dean and president. The specific complaint process may be found in the SFSC Student Handbook.
  2. SFSC’s Student Services staff is also a resource for you and may be reached by calling 863-784-7107. Their office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. EST. However, most issues can be resolved by communicating directly with your professor.
  3. Students must first entirely complete the SFSC (institutional) complaint procedures.  If the student is not satisfied with the outcome, he/she may appeal the complaint to the Postsecondary Reciprocal Distance Education Coordinating Council (PRDEC) Council by sending an email to The Florida Department of Education also posts information about the complaint process at its website.
  4. SFSC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Consult the SACSCOC policy for filing a complaint against it or one of its member institutions if you wish to do so.
  5. Visit the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights online to learn how you may file a complaint against SACSCOC and/or one of its accredited institutions.
  6. Students who are not residents of Florida may file a complaint with their home state by consulting the list of contacts by state.