Tutoring and Learning Center (TLC)
Our staff and facilities promote academic success by providing free services to all currently enrolled students at South Florida State College, students who are participating in approved programs, and alumni of the college no matter what the assignment, campus, or skill level.
The labs are a welcoming environment conducive to the college learning process where students can
- participate in one-on-one or group tutoring sessions in a personalized setting;
- obtain assistance and feedback from knowledgeable Math and Composition/Humanities faculty members, specialists, and Work Study student tutors;
- get a helping hand with any learning need or assignment;
- locate supplemental learning resources;
- organize study, discussion, and tutoring groups;
- conduct online research;
- access email and D2L Brightspace;
- prepare, work on, and complete coursework/study;
- print (from printers upstairs in the library); and
- consult a librarian upstairs with research questions.
In an effort to document student usage and support enhanced services, the AccuTrack system is available in both labs. This user-friendly system requires students to sign in and out using their student identification or GID number.
The Mathematics (Y-103) and Writing (Y-105) Labs are located on the first floor of the Learning Resource Center (LRC) in Building Y on the Highlands Campus. The phone numbers for the labs are: Math Lab: (863) 784-7369 and Writing Lab: (863) 784-7423.
The Math and Writing Labs are open Monday–Thursday during the fall, spring, and Summer Flex A terms including the week of final exams in the fall and spring semesters. Check the Math and Writing Lab schedules for the term. No appointments are necessary, and there is no limit to the number of visits to the labs.
Online Tutoring Service
In addition, SFSC offers an online tutoring service covering a variety of subjects in D2L Brightspace: Smarthinking. To access this resource, simply click on the Smarthinking tab in any course in D2L Brightspace or follow the steps below. In the event of questions or difficulties, please contact the Educational Technology Help Desk via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (863) 784-7017.
- Launch your Internet browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.);
- Go to http://www.smarthinking.com;
- In the User Name box, type your user name or D2L Brightspace online address (for example: email@example.com);
- In the Password box, type your password (the original default is 1234).